Randall L Vonderheide PC - Logo

Attorney at Law

Phone: (765) 423-2557

Fax: (765) 423-4544

300 Main Street, Suite #500
Lafayette, IN 47901

Where do you file for special driving privileges?

The proper county for seeking specialized driving privileges depends on whether the underlying driving suspension was court ordered or whether it was imposed administratively by the BMV. If your suspension was imposed by the BMV, you must file your petition for special driving privileges in your county of residence. If your suspension is from a court order, you must file in each court that ordered a suspension.

But what is the proper county for seeking relief when a person "forfeits" driving privileges for life following a felony conviction for driving while suspended? The Indiana Supreme Court recently decided in State v. Reinhart that a lifetime forfeiture is an administrative suspension. Therefore, the proper venue is the trial court in a person's county of residence.

With over 35 years of handling thousands of criminal cases, clients come to Steven Knecht seeking his dependable legal advice and service. If you find yourself having been arrested, you should immediately hire an experienced criminal defense lawyer that you can trust such as Steven Knecht to help you fight the State because you have a lot at stake on the outcome.

Filed to Ask a Lawyer

Back to Blog